Date: 3rd December 2005 at 4:12pm
Written by:

It appears that once again Harry Redknapp has left a club in controversial circumstances.

Rupert Lowe has released a statement on the official site explaining what has happened this week and confirming that Redknapp no longer considers himself employed by Southampton. Dave Bassett is in temporary charge for today’s game against Burnley.

Lowe said he was ‘lost for words’ when he was contacted by Portsmouth to talk to Redknapp explaining he ‘believed Harry to be here for the long-term.’

Lowe continued ‘On Thursday December 1 I spoke to Harry who told me that he had been considering his future and that he believed Portsmouth to be his spiritual home’

The club then received a written request from Pompey to talk to Redknapp. ‘I did not give that consent immediately as I wanted to be sure that Harry meant what he had said given some of the comments made by himself and Mandaric not much more than a year ago. I spoke to Harry again on Friday and he confirmed what he had said to me and that he wanted my consent to speak to Portsmouth.’

However on Friday he spoke to Redknapp again hoping to talk about the match against Burnley. ‘Harry said that it was now impossible for him to come back to the Club and that, in his words, he had been let down. He told me that he regarded his employment with the Club as being at an end and that we would deal with the necessary paperwork at the beginning of next week.’

Bassett was then put in temporary charge

The statement ends: ‘I had hoped that Harry would lead us back to the Premiership and despite our different backgrounds and our forthright relationship, I have enjoyed working with him. I wish him, Sandra and their family every good fortune in the future.’

Lowe is expected to make further comments after todays game.

We asked in our poll if you wanted Redknapp to stay, 72% said no. No doubt our new poll will ask who you want to see as manager. If you want to suggest a poll, just click on the link in the poll box.