Date: 8th November 2006 at 3:53pm
Written by:

A.F.C Sunderland are nicknamed The Black Cats having previously been known as the Rokerites.

Before the Second World War, Sunderland were league champions six times- in 1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913, and most recently in 1936, when they became the last football club wearing striped shirts to win the English football league.

Their only post World War II trophy came in 1973, a shock 1-0 win over Leeds United in the F.A Cup final.

Sunderland A.F.C. were formed in 1879 by Glaswegian school teacher James Allan as ‘Sunderland and District Teachers Association Football Club’. In 1881, the club opened its membership to all in order to ward off financial trouble, and therefore became Sunderland A.F.C.

The Club were nicknamed ‘The Bank of England Club’ because of their willingness to break all kinds of transfer records.

In 1997 Sunderland left Roker Park, the stadium which had been their home for 99 years. They moved to the Stadium of Light, a 42,000-seat arena which, at the time, was the biggest new stadium built in England since the war. The Stadium capacity was later increased to 49,000.

The most popular club fanzines are ‘Legion of Light’ and ‘A Love Supreme’

The club are now chaired by former player Niall Quinn and managed by former Manchester United captain Roy Keane. They have been inconsistent so far this term, a horrendous first few games saw Quinn step down as manager and appoint United legend Keane.