Date: 9th March 2011 at 3:01pm
Written by:

After the hard fought for win at Colchester Southampton had the luxury of a game being played at home. Knowing that the time has come where we have to play with consistent good form, the manager rested Jaidi and gave Aaron Martin a start.

Richard Chaplow managed to help get the first shot away last night by winning the ball in midfield before finding Lallana on the left. Adam then played a lovely pass inside to Dan Harding who took a swing and shot over keeper Henderson’s bar.

Yeovil were bright at the start and at first were looking quite dangerous. Dean Bowditch and Andy Williams were involved frequently with some energetic runs and involvement.

Saints opened the scoring after Yeovil had won a free kick in a good position near the Saints’ goal area. The ball was cleared comfortably and Saints swept up the other end winning a free kick of their own.

After a well worked move Danny Butterfield sent a reverse pass to Lee Barnard on the edge of the area and he gleefully beat Henderson smashing the ball in at the far post.

The first half continued in a scrappy way as neither side showed much fluidity apart from a few moments of Lallana magic. From one of these skipper Hammond drove a shot wide and the referee stopped the game with us all wondering when we would see our side start playing as they can.

The second half started with a little more pace than shown in the first and Bowditch forced Davis into an early save before Lallana got involved again.

First he headed the corner clear that resulted from Davis’s save and next he was involved at the other end of the pitch.After some more good work he tried to find Chaplow as he ran into the box but the pass was just cut out and cleared.

Shortly after it was Alex Oxlade-Chamberlains turn to try and he did really well to work a shooting opportunity before just failing to hit the target.

The Lallana was involved again as more good work from Chamberlain led to the youngster passing to Lallana who found Barnard with a cross for him to head powerfully home for our second goal.

With Saints becoming more dominant Yeovil then Subbed Tutte with Sam Williams as they tried to get back into the game. Then on the hour they brought Alcock on for Russell.

Lallana was again involved in a good move working well with Dan Harding. The third goal came from a different source as Chamberlain picked up the ball in midfield. He then twisted before unleashing a superb shot which was deflected before racing into the net.

With the game now safe Oscar Gobern was brought on for Chaplow. Almost immediately Oscar fired in a shot which flew narrowly over the top.

Jonathan Forte then came on for Lallana and with the game now being played with less urgency Chamberlain was replaced by Frazer Richardson as we ran the clock down. Yeovil bringing on Calver for Johnson.

Saints maintained the pressure and Forte was close to scoring when combining with Gobern before finding the keeper just too good as his shot was blocked by the keeper diving at his feet.

Full-time came with the Saints victorious and again managing to keep a clean sheet.

Manager Rating
Nigel Adkins 8

Nigel again did well with his starting young Martin in partnership with Fonte. His substitutions seemed to work as well which will be a bonus for the squad.